dss-dev message

Subject: RE: [dss-dev] DSS services and European Signature law

this?

Pim

-----Original Message-----
From: Huehnlein, Detlef [mailto:Detlef.Huehnlein@secunet.com]
Sent: 14 February 2008 08:44
To: Andreas Kuehne; lists@sonnenglanz.net; dss-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Pim,

the big problem is not really related to the EAL 4+, but to the
SSCD-requirements (e.g. that nobody, not even the user, may be able to
retrieve the private signing key).

Those requirements imply that the hardware and the operating system MUST be
part of the TOE - and not its operational environment. This is usually not
necessary for an evaluation of a DSS-implementation as signature application
component(*).

Why would it be necessary to evaluate a DSS-implementation as SSCD and not
only as signature application component?

BR,
 dh

PS (*): A "signature application component" is a piece of hardware and/or
software, which sends the data to be signed to the (S)SCD, performes hashing
and similar transformations and/or acts as signature-verification device
(Art 1 Nr. 8 1999/93/EC).