dss-x-comment message

Subject: Re: [dss-x-comment] DSS2 SignatureAlgorithm (ETSI STF 539)

Hi Henrik,

at our last TC call we discussed the DSS-X core 2.0 related topics your
pointed out:

"DSS2 defines the ServicePolicy and AppliedPolicy
    elements. Are you planning on including an element for
    SignaturePolicy too?".

The view of the TC is that we expect the SignaturePolicy to be a part of the ServicePolicy and we don't see proper way to split these aspects. There will be the danger of overlapping and contradiction of separate policies. Could you provide additional use cases / reasoning for a separation?

"The SignatureActivationData (SAD) element in DSS2
    is defined to only contain a string value, meaning that the SAD can
    be in any shape or form. How would the DSS service know what kind of
    SAD is provided? Would it make sense to include an attribute on the
    SAD element that can be used as a hint to the DSS service on how the
    SAD should be interpreted? Perhaps a simple
    type/issuer/provider/format attribute on the SAD?"

The TC considers the SAD as not required to be a core element (anymore). E.g. the ChipGateway protocol does not take advantage of the SAD element, so we decided to drop this element from core. Specific profiles are of course free to re-introduce it (as a simple string or as a more complex structure)

"The SignatureAlgorithm element is defined as a
    string type. How can we specify the use of the RSA-PSS signature
    algorithm which may need additional parameters, such as salt length
    and trailer field?".

The view of the TC is that maybe used as a coarse grained hint regarding the signing algorithm to be used and we don't see an advantage in expanding the client influence on server side processing. Could you provide additional use cases / reasoning for expanding the SignatureAlgorithm elemnt?

FYI: Here is the link to the latest version of the DSS-X core 2.0 draft:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=63126&wg_abbrev=dss-x

Greetings,

Andreas