Subject: Re: [dss-x] DSS-X Visible Signatures Profile

If I may generate input to this thread:
Andreas Kuehne wrote 20070727T093103Z
> >  > > [...] Perhaps we need two different profiles to address
> >  > > these two approaches.
> >  >
> >  > I strongly disagree, for a couple of reasons ...
> >  >
> >  > * There is only one visual signatures profile on our charter.
> >
> >  The charter specifically allows the TC to expand the list of
> >  profiles if we see the need for it.
>
> Yes ! I would vote for two different profiles :

First of all, I think our first work in this area should be, to
establish a common consensus about what actually shall be
covered by the concept of a "visual signature", how it is aligned with
the understanding of a "visible signature" and then, secondly,
how this may or may not include or be extended to include specific
solutions, like eg. PDF/DOC/DOT/XLS/XLT/SQLite/...

> - PDF signatures : Signatures embedded in a PDF file, visible or not.
> This is a complex area with lots of attention that deserves a separate
> profile. And I don't feel happy with leaving out 'invisible' signature
> by the profile title.

One additional comment from my side, while we're at it:

All files that have a specified format (structure) with controlled instances
applying standardized (with a small s) functions and procedures (transformations)
on data stored within like e.g. Microsoft Words *.DOC* (or *.DOT* :?), or Microsoft
Excels *.XLS (or *.XLT*) or even SQLites files with its accessing functions open
up a wild jungle of specific (proprietary) rules that may or may not change to the
knowledge of a processing server or its clients.

> - Visible representations of signatures : If I understand Konrad's
> proposal correctly, that's what it's intending ...

My understanding is, that what is intended is not very clear among us
with regard to visible and/or visual (representations of) signatures and how these
mix or are separate from each other as far as it has to be distinguished from
the profile/processing rules point of view.

> Dtmo these two areas doesn't overlap, because the visible
> 'representation' of the signature used in PDF docs isn't more than a
> funny picture and / or some text ...

I like to see us working out these terms :))
 ... as long as we do not extend our list of deliverables to a
"funny pictures profile" ...

All the best,
Stefan.