Subject: RE: dss-x: Action#26. XML Encryption profile or protocol? Implications for charter

Let me try to separate opinion from fact.

Opinion: The key issue is whether the scope of the charter is being
expanded. From OASIS's point of view the primary reasons that this is
important are: 1) to get all interested parties to participate and 2) to
scope the IPR obligations of participants.

IMO, because an encryption and decryption are specifically called out
(as a candidate profile) then the decision to specify the functionality
as a protocol rather than a profile constitutes a narrow technical
choice, not an increase in scope. However, this seems like a close
question, so I would consult with TC Admin (Mary).

Fact: There are two ways to change the charter of a TC. If the changes
are intended "only for the purpose of removing ambiguity or for
narrowing the scope of the topic" it is possible to do a charter
clarification, as defined in section 2.11 of the TC Process. This only
requires a special Majority vote conducted by the TC Admin.

If the changes are "for purposes of expanding the scope of the TC", it
is necessary to recharter the TC as described in section 2.12. This is
almost like starting a new TC except that the TC name and IPR mode stay
the same. It also requires a Special Majority, but any submitted
documents must be resubmitted. The big difference between rechartering
and starting a new TC is that the TC can continue to operate during the
rechartering process.

Hal

P.S. From a technical standpoint, if we are going to support encryption,
I would like to allow any arbitrary combination of signatures and
encryption as for example WS-Security allows.