Subject: AW: [dss-x] Your views on Signed Verification Response profile requirements document

Dear Marta,

I'm not sure, whether we all have a clear picture concerning
the main use cases for the proposed signed (verification)

In a typical DSS-scenario (at least as I understood DSS so far)
the client will (at the moment he uses DSS) not be able to generate
or verify (the required type of) signatures, because otherwise he would
not use DSS at all.

Is the main use case for having signed (verification) responses
to be able to PROVE AT A LATER POINT IN TIME that the specific
server generated or verified the signature? ... Or is the main
motivation to protect the TRANSMITTED DATA AT THE CURRENT TIME?

In the first case one might want to include some sort of time
stamp in the response and in the second case it might be interesting
to use signatures, which are produced by the server using a shared
secret.

Maybe you could provide some more information about the use cases you
have in mind?

Best regards,
  Detlef