Subject: Re: [dss-x] RE: Some more thoughts concerning the legal aspects

Hi Pim,

>  In countries that do support server-based signing with qualified
> signatures,
>  what are the (minimum) requirements for user authentication?
I'm not quite sure what you mean with user authentication. The
authentication of the certificate holder ? That's ensured by possession
and knowledge of the smart card and its related PIN.

If you're thinking of authentication within the document delivery
process I don't know that there are special 'legal' regulations. These
problems are somehow circumvented by the demand for a revision period
where the certificate holder must have a time slot to look at the
documents requested for signing and reject signing request. This time
slot must be at least several hours. Now you can see why there is a
Async profile ;-)

But this is the German way to do it. But other countries have other
views. E. g. we didn't succeed to get a british QC, CAs say 'No need for
QC, advanced certs are good enough ...'

Greetings

Andreas Kühne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97