Subject: RE: Fw: [dss-x] Visual Signatures profile

Hello,

The PDF signing scenario I have seen most interest in is:
-  Create a PDF document with predefined signature fields, each with their
associated label ("Employer", "Employee" etc.), in an automated process or
using the user interface of a PDF tool
-  Use a DSS-PDF service to certify the PDF document (applying a
Modification Detection and Prevention signature), to allow it to be signed
and annotated, but not substantially changed
-  Then, use a DSS-PDF to sign an indicated signature field.

This could be handled without major extensions to DSS:
-  Applying the MDP signature could be the default operation, in the absence
of other optional inputs ("Seal this document"), triggered by the MIME type
of the document to be signed
-  To sign a named signature field, the name of the field could be added as
an optional input ("Put my signature in field <Name>")

I.e. the action of adding, deleting signature fields would not have to be
part of the core PDF related functionality.

Issues/comments:
-  A DSS client may not have any understanding of PDF.  It should be able to
issue a request like "Seal this document, unless it already has a valid
seal"
-  A client should be able to send a PDF document a receive a list of all
signatures, signature fields and their status. The request would be
something like "Tell me who, if anyone, signed this document and validate
their signatures".  The response would be something like:
"Document is sealed by <DSSserver>, the <Employer> field is signed by
<Signatory> and that signature is valid, the <Employee> field is not yet
signed"
-  PDF has limits on the number of signatures of certain types that can be
in a particular document (at most one MDP signature, at most two usage
rights signatures).  It should not be possible to put a signature in a field
that already has a signature in it, or to add a signature if the document
already contains a maximum number of signatures of that type)
-  It would be great if the operation of signing a named field would not
require the PDF document to be checked out from a document management
system, so that various signature fields can be signed in a parallel
workflow.  Perhaps this is more a tool design issue than a protocol issue.
-  A server could link the name of a signature field to a role or to an
individual. When signing, the server could communicate with an access
control product, e.g. using XACML ("A requester claiming to be <Person>,
identity authenticated by <IdP> using a SAML assertion in the DSS request,
wants to sign this document as an <Employer>. Please check if <Person> is a
member of the <Employer> group").

Pim