Subject: XMLEnc: some reactions to issues by Clemens

Clemens,

I have read again the contents of the wiki....please find below
intermixed my first reactions to some of your issues:

1. You mention: "EncryptedDocument inheritance? Find a way to include it
as DocumentWithSignature document child"

This happens when you encrypt and generate an enveloped signature. My
question is, why the tag <dsse:EncryptedDocument> should appear as child
of the <dss:DocumentWithSignature>? to make it clear that this document
contains encrypted parts? is not this clear from the fact that the
document comes from a previous request that asks for this? this document
will contain xenc:EncryptedData elements containing the encrypted
parts.... could you please provide rationale for the need of this element?

An alternative would be to swap the order of InLineXML and
EncryptedDocument in your example. That would solve the xml schema problems.

If not, then we should go for some changes, and I presume that if we do
not want to touch the core, we should maybe define a new
DocumentWithSignatureAndEncryptedParts, whose type could be an extension
of dss:DocumentType for allowing this tag....

2. In the second issue you write: "By default, sign before encryption.
Introduce dsse:DetachedSignature element to change default behaviour.
dss:SignedReferences (other elements?) imply signature operation (and
new element is ignored?)"

My understanding is that there is a need for something to indicate taht
first is the signature and afterwards comes the encryption when no
SignedReference or other optional input of the SignRequest is
required... we always may define an empty element (<SignFirst> or the
like) or even an attribute of EncryptionContent (?)

4. Insertion of xmlenc-decrypt

Actually, it seems to me that the xmlenc-decrypt states that one should
make usage of the dt:Except as soon as there are parts of a signed
document that are encrypted after the generation of the signature....
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlenc-decrypt#sec-purpose)

[?] You also mention:"discuss use case enveloping signature prior to
encryption"
Is this not leading to the usage of xmlenc-decrypt transformation?

Regards

Juan Carlos.