Subject: [dss-x] Groups - Using Assertion for DSS/X InterOP (DSS Assertion.pdf) uploaded

Hi Juan Carlos,

whenwriting the Assertion document your comment from one of the last telcos came into my mind : Yes, assertions are not necessarily targeting towards an interOP scenario. Usually it's more on conformance : You needjust one implementation and the test cases, not two implementations that interact.

But to have a relevant set of InterOP test casesit may be useful to cross-check with the assertions to ensure that all important parts of the spec get tested.

Good luck with your flight. I was astouned yesterday that the ash cloud now is affecting Spain. But on a satellites photo of the ash cloud Europe suddenly looks very small ...

Greetings

Andreas

-----Original Message ----
From: Juan Carlos Cruellas <cruellas@ac.upc.edu>
To:dss-x <dss-x@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 12:04:12 AM

Dear Andreas,

Thank you very much for your document. Indeed it is very interesting.... I am afraid that I will not be able to make nextMonday's call (I will be -if the ashes cloud allows it- in an ESI meeting in London)....

Thereis one thing that I wanted to comment though....maybe I am wrong but I would say that the assertions would be extremelly useful within the context of conformance checking, i.e., to check that a certain application is conformant to the specification. My view is that in an interoperability event, apart from the fact that applications should be aligned with the specification, the test cases should define what optional elements are present in one test case, and what values for the relevant elements and attributes both mandatory and optional present. I would say then that both are complementary, the assertions could list the things that one tool should check in the request or response, while the interoperability test case would define what elements should be present in the request, and what relevant elements.....

In my message of 19/1/2010 I made an initial proposal for scoping the interoperability test cases on the core, where I identified a number of opitional elements and optional inputs that I see that should be tested....

I was thinking in specifyint test cases by enumeratingthe elements and optional inputs so that each one would allow to test interoperability of certain aspects:

<SignRequest>
   <InputDocument><Base64XML/></InputDocument>
   <OptionalInput>
      <ClaimedIdentity>
   </OptionalInput>
</SignRequest>
It is a pity that I can not make next Monday, because we could talk about that, anyway we may go on by email.
We may go on by email..:

Regards

JuanCarlos.

--
Andreas Kühne phone: +49 177 293 24 97 mailto: kuehne@trustable.de

Trustable Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland Ströverstr. 18 - 59427 Unna Amtsgericht Hamm HRB 5868

Directors Andreas Kühne Heiko Veit

Company UK Company No: 5218868 Registered in England and Wales