Subject: Remarks on the ETSI - PAdES visible signature document

Hi All,

I went over the draft of the ETSI PAdES document and I have one general remark:

The document refers to using an image of a hand-written signature and requires getting the hand-written signature from the X509 Certificate of the signer.

I think that is a preferred option however, for the following reasons I think that the document should allow images to be selected by applications for the following reasons:

- It will take a while for CAs to enhance certificates with the new extension. And also what if the CA policy is not to enhance the certificate with a handwritten signature?

- A signer may have several graphical signatures (regular one, Initials, different colors of graphical signatures, …)

- The same may go for company Logo, should this also be part of the signer certificate as well?

I think that the document should be more flexible on this requirement and maybe tag the fact the image was retrieved from the certificate in a different manner (for example, mark this in the Visual Representation of the advanced signature) but still allow incorporating handwritten signatures or Logos as part of the signature ceremony.

Regards,

Ezer

Ezer Farhi | VP Engineering | ARX
phone: +972.3.9279529 | fax: +972.3.9230864 | email: ezer@arx.com | www.arx.com