Subject: Re: [dss-x] Groups - TestCases For Core v0.2 (DSS-X InteroperabilitySpecification Core OS Proposal-7June2010-v0.2.xls) uploaded

Hi Andreas,

See below intermixed.

Regards

Juan Carlos.
kuehne@trustable.de escribió:
> Hi Juan-Carlos,
>
> sory for the late reply, but my daytime job is quite demanding right now.
>
> I'm still a bit unsure about the destincion between an interop and a conformance test scenario. What I see in the Excel sheet is a collection of some relevant validations.  As far as I understand the tests in the Excel sheet can be performed on one single implementation. This is of course useful but I don't see the aspect of an interoperabilty here. For an InterOp I would expect to be at least two implementations to be involved. Do I miss this aspect somehow ?

To me an interop event is an event where different implementations
perform a set of tests that somebody (us in this case) has designed and
check if their applications understand eachother. If not, then there are
discussions on whether one of the applications did something not aligned
with the standard, whether the standard was ambiguously written, etc,
and at the end some kind of conclusions are raised for each divergence
if possible. The conclusions are reached through discussions and in our
case, some kind of comments could be raised to the standardization
committee.

A conformance check requires to me, a precondition: a conformance check
tool and somebody (entity, group of people) that claims that this tool
is ***the*** tool, rightly developed, i.e., completely exhaustive,
rigthly working, etc, etc, for doing conformance checks, i.e., a tool
that ensures that whatever other application passes its tests, it
follows the standard. My view of this is that this kind of tool is by
far much more difficult to build: who would do that? under what
entitlement? it requires exhaustive work for being sure that nothing is
left of checking....

As for the excel, the way I see is that each test case instructs a
participant in generating one specific request. This request would then
be picked up by other participants and processed. At this point there
would be an interoperability test: each participant would see how her
tool reacts to the request generated by another tool. The different
answers generated could even be checked by the one that generated the
requests, completing the circle...
> Another question on the Excel sheet :
> There are some variations of input data defined. Do we just want to check the return status of the response ? No coarse check that the resulting signature is valid and of the intended type ?

If we put a PKI in place in the interop, the signatures generated could
actually be verified...well, in fact, there are also verification
protocols in our specs...so, to some extent some signatures verification
should be performed, although this would not be the primary objective.