Subject: Re: [dss-x] Hints for editors and on communicating links to the public or other interested third parties

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Stefan Drees <stefan@drees.name> wrote:
> Dear all,

> as we sometimes want to share documents and such with other
> persons (not currently being enrolled with OASIS) e.g. experts/implementers
> that might be interested in participating but still are in need of arguments
> for joining, I would like to remind us of an IMO useful resource brought to
> my attention by an email from Chet Ensign to the OData members mailing list:
> [...]

Many thanks, Stefan!   In this followup message, I'm providing the direct link to
the subsection in the Naming Directives document which shows how to
select the correct (public-access) link, and I provide the URI references to
the indexes for documents/email messages, ballots, calendar entries which
should be used to select-copy-paste the publicly accessible URIs.

I'm just now finishing a revision to the Naming Directives document which
will make it clearer how to simply "select" the correct URIs rather than
"transforming" the bad (password-protected) URIs.  See below.

Publicly Accessible URIs
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#accessibleURIs

This subsection provides advice on how to select the public-access
URIs versus the Kavi-generated password-protected (member only,
private) URIs for TC documents, archived email messages, ballots,
and calender entries. In support of the OASIS TC Process rules for
public visibility of all TC resources, TC Members must be careful
to select an appropriate form of a URI reference to ensure that a
resource is indeed publicly accessible from that URI reference.
Member-only (private, password-protected) URI references created
by OASIS tools must not be cited in TC mailing list messages or
in any documents that may become public.  Such URIs frustrate,
irritate, and bewilder users who expect OASIS resources to be
publicly available for viewing, and "discover" (from the private
URI references) that the resources are inaccessible.

How?  The simplest way for TC members to select the public-access
URIs is to select/copy the URI references from the public-access
indexes as presented on the TC public home page, "Related links"

For example, in the case of the DSS-X TC:

1) DSS-X TC public home page
   Use: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dss-x/

2) DSS-X TC documents
   Use the index here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=dss-x
   E.g., https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/47439/localsig-v1.0-wd01-8Nov2012.pdf

3) DSS-X TC archived email messages
   Use the index here: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss-x/
   E.g., https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss-x/201211/msg00026.html

4) DSS-X TC ballots
   Use the index here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballots.php?wg_abbrev=dss-x
   E.g., https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=1965

5) DSS-X TC calender entries
   Use the index here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/calendar.php?wg_abbrev=dss-x
   E.g., https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/event.php?event_id=33788

- Robin

--
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services

Dear all,

as we sometimes want to share documents and such with other persons (not currently being enrolled with OASIS) e.g. experts/implementers that might be interested in participating but still are in need of arguments for joining, I would like to remind us of an IMO useful resource brought to my attention by an email from Chet Ensign to the OData members mailing list: [...]

URL="" href="http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html" target="_blank">http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html

The OASIS officers (I think esp. Robin Cover) seem to have invested some time into authoring "The OASIS Naming Directives document", a document that suggests some rules governing filenames and URIs for Technical Committee Work Products. It is (observing the change entries at the bottom) updated approx. on a yearly basis (but of course event driven).

In there (at about 3/4 of the total length) are infos collected w.r.t. the relevant translations from restricted vs. public access links to publicly accessible entities in different areas like:
* Documents,
* Email messages,
* TC ballot listings,
* TC individual ballots and
* TC calendar entries.

The relevant Section is "Using Appropriate URI References" see esp. subsection "Publicly Accessible URIs".

All the best,
Stefan.