Subject: Regarding DSS Extension for Local Signature Computation ...

Hi Ernst,

I got two major points that I would like to discuss regarding the 'Local Sig Comp' profile. But first of all I strongly support the creation of the profile. We implemented such a functionality in our signing server many years ago.

  1. The use of the Async profile somehow looks like a crook to implement an inversion-of-control pattern. Leaving this transport aspect open to different bindings like POAS or web sockets imho would be a better approach.
  2. I don't appreciate the tight coupling of sending a signing request and handling the signature creation on the client. I would prefer the separation of these concerns! In your use case there is a strong relationship between the initialization of the request and the usage of the local device. But in other scenarios this must not be the case. A possible use case may be operator who receives a notification e.g. that a processing stream fails due to smart card problems and signing request pile up. So he uses his backup smart card from his wallet, plugs it into his laptop and starts a signature creation device by opening a page in the browser. The pending requests that will be processed are _not_ initiated by the operator itself.

From an architectural view point I would prefer to decompose the 'Local Sig Comp' use case into a signature creation request, a local signing service and a registration/delegation mechanism that enables the local signing service to register with the remote server. The local signing service itself should be a minimized DSS instance, capable of processing PKCS1 requests only. So I would propose a 'PKCS1-only server profile' and a POAS (or webSocket) binding to accomplish the same as you outlined in the 'Local Sig Comp' profile. But with more versatile and reusable parts. On the other hand it's not self explaining how to combine these generic blocks into a running system. So your profile is required to outline the way of combining the other profiles/bindings and to care about the security and regulatory aspects.

Greetings,

Andreas Kühne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97
mailto: kuehne@trustable.de

Trustable Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland Ströverstr. 18 - 59427 Unna Amtsgericht Hamm HRB 5868

Directors Andreas Kühne, Heiko Veit

Company UK Company No: 5218868 Registered in England and Wales