Subject: Re: [dss-x] HSM Proxy DSS profile

Hi Andreas,

Indeed, this Proxy HSM offers raw PKCS1 signature operations, but using a centralized key management, whereas the idea behind Local Sig Comp is that the client itself holds the signing token (e.g., a smart card).

I've read your feedback on the Local Sig Comp profile. Decomposing the work would indeed make sense as I'm afraid that the current scope is way too broad. No matter how the actual connection between the DSS and the PKCS1 device has been implemented, the first problem that you need to tackle (and that, from an interoperability point of view, actually demands for standardization) is the protocol between the web application and a DSS service over web browsers. Hence in my view the first work package is constructing an OASIS DSS profile that defines message level security as I already suggested in:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss-x/201209/msg00028.html

Later on we could try to also detail on the actual DSS-PKCS1-device protocol, but again, in my view this is merely a DSS service implementation detail. I.e., similar to SAML where the actual authentication mechanism is also completely out of scope as it is business/technology specific and from an interop-point-of-view actually doesn't matter at all.

Kind Regards,
Frank.