Subject: Re: [dss-x] Raw chat trace of meeting #186 on 2017-SEP-18

Hi Juan Carlos,

before you invest time in a way to isolate a subtree out of a document
using DOM please take into account that there are other ways of XML
processing, like SAX or some type of language binding (e.g. JAXB in the
Java space). We have to offer a well defined process that's easy to
implement and language / framework independent. The flexibility of XML
namespace declarations makes it very tricky to come up with a simple
solution: A namespace declared on the root level is as valid as a
declaration within the same element or within any element in between.
And the namespace can be redeclared. That may happen before we reach the
subtree we like to extract. Some of these inherited namespaces are
required for the subtree,  the other MUST be dropped.I would guess we
quickly end up in re-defining the namespace-related part of exclusive
canonicalization! Maybe the complexity of this is topic is the reason
why there isn't a simple method defined in the DOM specification.

As I mentioned JAXB above: This is the XML of the 'plain vanilla' JAXB
serialization of a DSS verification request:

    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <ns2:VerifyRequest
xmlns:ns2="urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema"
            xmlns:ns3="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";
xmlns:ns4="http://uri.etsi.org/019512/v1.0#";

xmlns:ns5="urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:profiles:asynchronousprocessing:1.0"
            RequestID="TestIdSign--5492689337464250234">
            <ns2:SignatureObject>
                <ns3:Signature>

<ns3:SignatureValue>H3eXrKtSF/MPJnNMzWF1rgpLBla+ei687C+Btq3q0gIOuTZZcxJf+MPY3lucP2cnNiWTk+eLWLhp
[...]

As you can see there is the need to respect _some_ of namespace
declarations given _outside_ of the relevant Signature object. So I
would like to vote for a drop of this last resort of 'inlined XML'
instead of taking the burden to define an extraction scheme.

Greetings,

Andreas Kühne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97
mailto: kuehne@trustable.de

Trustable Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland Gartenheimstr. 39C - 30659 Hannover Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 212612

Director Andreas Kühne

Company UK Company No: 5218868 Registered in England and Wales