Subject: Re: [dss-x] Quick Poll for Async Protocol: Standalone profile or sub-section in the core?

Hi,

My first impression was:

"The mechanism is related to the transport layer, it may not be the proper solution to put it into the core."

and also thought:

"Should the core be 'transport' agnostic?"

For instance, the WS-Polling may support this already (https://www.w3.org/Submission/ws-polling/) but maybe it is a dead proposal (I did not check it completely)

===

WS-Polling defines a special URI that is similar to the anonymous URI defined by WS-Addressing, meaning the client is unable to offer an endpoint for responses:

http://www.w3.org/2005/08/ws-polling/HoldResponse

Use of this URI in the wsa:ReplyTo EPR of a request message will indicate to the service that the client will use WS-Polling to retrieve the response if the response does not come back through some other means (such as the HTTP response flow). When the service receives a request containing this URI in the wsa:RepyTo EPR it can immediately return an HTTP response code of 202 back to the client - with the assumption that the client will poll for the response at some later point in time.

===

But for 'ease of use' and the situation that most services are probably synchronous, the async profile can help in the adoption.

So I am in favor.

Regards

Ernst Jan

Andreas Kuehne wrote:
Hi all,

here is a question that nags me for some time:

Should we keep the Async Profile or should we merge it into the core?

There are good reasons for both:

Into the core:

- async is used by many applications

- async is quit small compared to the profile

- It is nasty to deal with a separate profile for this little functionality

Separate profile:

- Focus the core on the 'minimal viable product'

- Don't irritate readers with details they may never use

- Async describes a quite simple way to solve the requirement. Other
solutions may show up

What's your opinion?

Greetings and have nice early-summer weekend,