Subject: Re: [dss-x] DSSX-30: set cardinality of ReturnAugmentedSignature to 0..1

Hi Ernst Jan,
> If the server returns just one augmented signature, which signature does
> it choose? Just the first one? (Did we define "the first one"?) Or the
> last one? Why? It seems arbitrary: either we specify/indicate which one
> or we return 'all of them' (which seems the implicit default).. in that
> case 0..* still has to be used.
the server may return multiple augmented signatures. The 'type'
attribute should qualify the returned signature.
> If the input document should not be modified, for whatever reason, than
> your really must be able to return all augmented signatures... (so, it
> is not just a matter of reducing 'complexity' if we would use 0..1).

In case of a non-detached signature the semantic is not quite clear to
me. Should the signature be extracted from the document, augmented and
returned? Presumably not.

In case of (e.g. two) enveloped signatures should both signatures be
augmented to the requested (e.g. two) types? So we end up with four
signatures. That does not make sense so I would assume we should limit
the cardinality to '1'.

Moreover we may need to add a SignaturePtr-element to the augmented
signature to relate it to the input signature.

> What actually is the meaning of having multiple INPUT elements
> ReturnAugmentedSignature? I do not find a clear description in the dss2
> document..

The augmentation topic is new in version 2. Obviously it is not
completely settled. My simplistic idea was that different augmentation
steps could be applied to the input signature (e.g. timestamping and
co-signing). But this seems to introduce unwanted complexities (see
above). So I would intend to go for 0..1.

Greetings,

Andreas

--
Andreas KÃhne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97

Trustable Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland Gartenheimstr. 39C - 30659 Hannover Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 212612

Director Andreas KÃhne

Company UK Company No: 5218868 Registered in England and Wales