Subject: AW: [dss-x] DSSX-25: Wording regarding optional elements

Hi,

IMHO "MAY" and "OPTIONAL" are equivalent with respect to "softness" or "hardness"
according to RFC 2119:

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
      NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and
      "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
      RFC 2119.

... hence "OPTIONAL" should be set in capital letters, if we it is to be interpreted
as defined in RFC 2119.

The half sentence ", if it is present" IMHO cures the "felt" contradiction
between  "the OPTIONAL ... element MUST ... ".

BR,
 dh

-----UrsprÃngliche Nachricht-----
Von: dss-x@lists.oasis-open.org <dss-x@lists.oasis-open.org> Im Auftrag von Andreas Kuehne
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2019 22:49
An: dss-x@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Detlef,

I guess JC concern was to replace the soft 'optional' with a RFC 2119-styled MAY .

We once dropped the 'if present' sub clause because of presumed redundancy.

Greetings,

Andreas

--
Andreas KÃhne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97

Trustable Ltd. Niederlassung Deutschland Gartenheimstr. 39C - 30659 Hannover Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 212612

Director Andreas KÃhne

Company UK Company No: 5218868 Registered in England and Wales