Subject: Re: [dss-x] Re: CVE for DSS spec

Thanks for the clarification.Â

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:58 PM Andreas Kuehne <kuehne@trustable.de> wrote:
Hi Chet,

usuallay a smart guy who found the bug filed a CVE. This ensures the
fame for the security expert.
Before disclosing the CVE the responsible party (usually a software
producer)Â has to admit the CVE is valid and a fix is available and
already shipped (in the best case).

In our case the DSS-X TC is in both roles so there are no delegate
discussions between founder and fixer.

Greetings,

Andreas
> Hi Andreas,
>
> This looks fine to me. By the way, who filed the original CVE? I'm curious
> to know the sequence of events.
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> - I recommend that the TC vote to approve the document and ideally that you
> publish it as a CN so that it fits into the standard deliverables of OASIS
> TCs. We can whip up a template for you right away.
>
> - I agree with putting the warning on the homepage. I suggest under
> Announcements and under Technical Work Produced by the TC.
>
> - I will also add the notice to the standards download page. The wording
> can mirror what you use on the homepage.
>
> - Can any of the links be added to the CVE record? I would get the doc and
> proof of concept ready first and then, once those are up, notify MITRE to
> release the record.
>
> By the way, how did the vulnerability come to the TC's attention?
>
> /chet
>

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:04 PM akuehne <akuehne@trustable.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chet,
>>
>> sorry, I have to come back to the vulnerability issue again. It's great
>> that OASIS is working on a policy document helping the TCs to handle
>> these topics in a professional manner. But an ad-hoc poll in the DSS-X
>> TC made it obvious that we don't want to wait any longer before
>> disclosing our vulnerability.
>>
>> My approch would be to upload a document describing the problem and its
>> remediation. Additionally I would like to upload a simple
>> Proof-of-concept snippet to github.
>> The next step would be mailing to our lists and a prominent message on
>> TC's homepage describing the problem, a link to the mantioned document
>> and PoC, the way to mitigate it in DSS core 1.0 and the confirmation
>> that the problem is NOT present in DSS-X core 2.0!
>> The third step is to give Mitre a hint that our CVE can be published.
>>
>> Do you consider this as a useful way to move forward?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Andreas
>>> Thanks Andreas - I'll be reviewing those with the committee. We have had
>>> discussion on those topics - just haven't reached consensus yet.
>>>
>>> /chet

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vx-ul_MTenguAmFZKnMS89yEu1YMbvRenJGk0D7N3KI/edit#heading=h.7m6wq9expm3e
>>>>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qxp3EMq8KKq84smrAFyWlnL87oOrPj-kT9dxefjk5Pc/edit#heading=h.7m6wq9expm3e

>> Feel

>> results
>> has
>> made

>> This
>> can

>> not

>> <

>> CVE

--
Andreas KÃhne

Chair of OASIS DSS-X

phone: +49 177 293 24 97
mailto: kuehne@trustable.de

> [...]

/chetÂ
Chet Ensign
Chief Technical Community Steward
OASIS: Advancing open source & open standards for the information society
http://www.oasis-open.org

Mobile: +1 201-341-1393Â