dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] some changes in requirements draft 3

Trevor:

I tend to agree that it is handy to be able to use the entire SAML assertion where the parties agree to use SAML between them. I apologize for not having gotten back to you and the list on my question to Section 3.2.1--

[QUESTION:  Is it unduly restrictive to limit permissible methods of representing a Requestor’s Identity to none, a string attribute or SAML Assertion?]

I think your comments tend to support the concern I raised, at least indirectly. In this regard, I am looking at Section 3.3.4, which states:

3.3.4	Authentication
·	None (or by other means, such as TLS/SSL, IPsec)
·	Directly to the server within the protocol (perhaps using WS-Security?)
·	Indirectly via an Authentication Authority (perhaps using SAML?)
·	Combinations of above
The protocol should be capable of supporting the above approaches to mutual authentication of the client and server to each other.  Bindings will fill in the details and mandate specific techniques.  Authentication is performed at a lower layer than the DSS protocol itself.  The details of authentication techniques used to access a DSS server are not within the scope of this specification and there is no attempt by this specification to restrict such methods of authentication.

It seems to me that 3.2.1 is much narrower in terms of signature attributes than is 3.3.4. The protocol should allow each of the authentication methods if selected its own signature attributes, rather than simply specifying strings for methods other than SAML. This can also be considered in relationship to the general comment to 3.2 which states :

These requirements [including 3.2.1] don’t apply to the DSS protocol per se, but to the signed and unsigned attributes of the signatures that it produces.

Hence the question whether the text of 3.2.1 is unduly restrictive for non-SAML authentication methods where the parties agree to use such other methods. It seems that a more balanced approach would be preferable. I would not limit the use of SAML, but it would not limit the other methods to none or strings only either, unless they natively only supported these representations of a signer's identity.

Best regards.