dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] some changes in requirements draft 3

We had this issue in WS-Security, we did not want to have to have the extra
baggage of SAML just to do a assertion (when the requestor or recipient did
not support SAML), so we defined a basic element that allowed one to assert
a name and then we allowed for additional profiles that could use SAML,
Kerberos, X509, XrML, etc to provide an assertion

    <wsse:UsernameToken wsu:Id="...">
        <wsse:Username>...</wsse:Username>
    </wsse:UsernameToken>

There are quite a few assertions that exist today in legacy systems, such
as Kerberos, one should also be able to use these, especially since
symmetric keys can be used for signing.

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122

|         |           Trevor Perrin    |
|         |           <trevp@trevp.net>|
|         |           04/10/2003 12:33 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, dss@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                      |
  |       Subject:  RE: [dss] some changes in requirements draft 3                                                                                 |

At 10:44 PM 4/9/2003 -0500, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

>Why is this limited to SAML as SAML is not the only assertions we have to
>deal with, this needs to be generalized

Hi Anthony,

I don't understand your question.  What other assertions are you talking
about?  What exactly needs to be generalized?

Trevor