dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] FW: XML Key Management Specification Last Call - needreview/feed back

At 10:55 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, Robert Zuccherato wrote:

>I received the following message from Shivaram Mysore, one of the chairs of
>the XKMS WG.  The XKMS specification has entered its last call process.  Are
>there any comments that we, as a TC, wish to make to the XKMS WG?

It would be nice if the public key used by an (identified requestor /
single key pair) DSS service could be registered and located.

For example, suppose Acme.com has a DSS service that it trusts to sign for
Alice@Acme.com.  Suppose this DSS service has a single key pair, and when
it signs, it adds "Alice@Acme.com" as a signed attribute to identify the
requestor.

You'd like to be able to query the Acme.com XKMS service for
Alice@Acme.com, and retrieve the DSS service's key.  However, the XKMS
service wouldn't want to say "this is Alice's signature key", cause that's
untrue - you can't assume everything signed by this key is from
Alice.  Instead, the XKMS service would need to say "this is Alice's
*delegated* signature key", indicating that if you receive a signature
signed by this key *and* with Alice's name as a signed attribute, only then
you should assume the signature was produced under Alice's control.

I think this could be done by adding a new "DelegatedSignature" value to
the <KeyUsage> element: <KeyUsage>DelegatedSignature</KeyUsage>.  We could
at least ask them about something like this.

Trevor