dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Representing requestor's identity

At 04:04 PM 4/28/2003 -0500, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

> >I disagree here - I think we should *only* support SAML as far as
> >representing the authentication event goes, since it's the only well-known
> >technology for doing this (that I'm aware of).  WSS UsernameTokens aren't
> >intended for this purpose - they don't provide for expressing usernames in
> >different "name forms", and they don't provide for saying anything about
> >who authenticated the subject, the authentication method, or the
> >authentication time.
>
>Disagree, there are lots of technologies that represent an authentication
>event, Kerberos is one of them.

Are you saying the DSS could be a KDC, and issue a ticket to the client and
then hmac-sign with the symmetric key inside the ticket?  If so, since the
DSS is signing with the client's key, wouldn't it be more appropriate to
put the Kerberos ticket inside the signature's ds:KeyInfo?

In other words, the point of identifying the requestor is when the server
is signing with its own key, so it needs some extra step to identify the
client, but if the server is signing with the client's key, such an extra
step isn't needed (for example, if the server had a database of its'
clients' private keys which it used to sign, it wouldn't need to identify
the requestor either).

>Need a extensible mechanism, what you propose is not, so we
>need a way expressing name forms including:
>- Simple name string
>- RFC 3280/X.509 general name (possibly encoded as an LDAP string)
>- SAML Assertion
>- WSS UsernameToken
>- Kerberos
>- Other name forms to be identified at a later date

If the schema was general enough that other forms of "authentication
assertions" could be defined later besides SAML, but we initially only
supported SAML, would that be good enough?

>Also who ever told you that UsernameTokens aren't intended for this purpose
>is wrong, these can and are used as name assertions.

I don't see anything in these documents about UsernameTokens being used for
this.  Could you elaborate?
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/1044/WSS-SOAPMessageSecurity-11-0303-merged.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/1046/WSS-Username-02-0223.pdf

An authentication assertion needs to represent at least:
  - name of subject
  - name of issuer
  - possibly a cryptographic signature by issuer
  - how subject was authenticated
  - when subject was authenticated

Trevor