dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Representing requestor's identity

At 05:07 PM 4/29/2003 -0400, jmessing wrote:

>Where a person signs on behalf of another person or an entity, which is an
>essential element of delegated signing, it would be handy to have a
>standard way of communicating  between applications and entities how the
>authorizations were set up and for how long they are intended to last. It
>could be critical to certain types of transactions.
>
>It is related to identification of a signer, but not identical to it.

This sounds less like signed attributes the signer would add to a
particular signature, and more like policies, validity intervals, and name
constraints a CA would add to the DSS Server's certificate.

In other words, you wouldn't trust the DSS Server to say "I'm authorized to
sign for Bob", you'd trust some higher-level authority to say "the DSS
Server is authorized to sign for Bob".

So this seems a matter of trust infrastructure that's out of scope for
us.  Though once I pointed out that if we wanted DSS services to be able to
have an X.509 cert that says "I'm authorized to sign for *@acme.com", we
could try to convince PKIX that a cert with SubjectName
"delegated-signing-authority@acme.com" should have that semantics, or
something:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200302/msg00019.html

Trevor