dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Requester Identity (was RE: [dss] requirements draft 4)

Trevor;

> We could create some of these higher-level standards
> ourselves - i.e. do
> both a core protocol and a bindings & profiles doc.  For
> example, an S/MIME
> signature profile might specify a GeneralName
> requestor-identity signed
> attribute in CMS.  An XAdES signature profile might specify
> how to use a
> SAML Assertion within the <SignedProperties> element, and so on.

True.  But I am thinking that identifying the requester will be a common
enough requirement that it would be worth our while to include methods for
doing so in the core protocol.

> Are you saying the core protocol should define an XML element
> that can
> contain any of the above things, and then higher-level standards will
> profile use of this element (by mandating or disallowing
> certain of its
> choices?).

Yes, that is what I was thinking.  The exact list can be modified, but I
think it would make sense to define an element that can contain a number of
widely used identifiers.  The higher-level standards can then make use of
the element as required.

	Robert.