dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] freezing doc, and next steps

At 05:50 PM 6/3/2003 +0200, Gray Steve wrote:

>Please refer to my answers to John's questions below, marked as <UPU>

The eNotary service alluded to in the DSS requirements is a little
different - the client would authenticate to it (using a password, say),
and the service would sign the document using its own private key, while
adding the client's name as a signed attribute (this is what we mean by
"Identifying the Requestor").  Whether this is a better or worse analogue
of a "physical-world" notary I dunno.  The chief difference is that an EPM
notary assumes the client already has a keypair/cert he can sign with,
while an eNotary assumes the client only has some way of authenticating
himself.

>Perhaps I need some clarification as to the scope of this Requirements
>documnet. In my view, eNotarisation and Court Filings are "Use Cases" not
>requirements for use cases. That is why we have stated that we do not think
>this feature needs to be addressed in the subsequent protocol/

You're right - things like "eNotarisation" and "Court Filings" are use
cases, not requirements.  The contents under 2.9 and 2.10 are "particular
features" of these use cases which the requirements proper (in section 3)
are intended to take into account.

Trevor