dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] UPU Electronic PostMark user case scenarios

At 06:26 PM 6/18/2003 -0700, Trevor Perrin wrote:

>Case 1
>----------
>The sender signs a document with his private key, and sends the signature
>to his EPM service.  The service verifies the signature, adds a time-stamp
>to it, archives the time-stamped signature, and returns it.  The recipient
>of the signed document sends the signature to his own EPM service for
>verification.  Then the recipient repeats this process in the other
>direction, so the document ends up with both their signatures.

Just a thought about how we could implement EPM using the DSS operations.

With EPM, the sender calls Verify/ApplyPostmark, and the recipient calls
Verify.

If we were to translate this into DSS terms, I think it would make sense
for the sender to use the DSS Signing Protocol, and pass in a signature and
request a time-marked countersignature.  The DSS service would verify the
passed-in signature, and archive it, as a prerequisite to adding its
time-marked countersignature as a "postmark".  The recipient would use the
DSS Verification protocol to verify the signature.

The interesting thing here is that EPM Verify/ApplyPostmark would translate
into DSS Sign, where the Verify part is carried out by the DSS/EPM service
as a prerequisite to signing, but isn't explicitly requested by the sending
client.

Trevor