dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Comments to draft 6 Use Case requirements

See some further thoughts on a couple of points discussed below (marked
<NP>):

Nick

<NP>
This is a common requirement to have some identifier for relating a sequence
of signing operations to some application related "activity" identifier.  I
would suggest that this is not not necessarily bound to use of a specific
crytographic key, since the same key may be used across several activities.
<NP>

> >.       Ability to "store signed content" which would be
> awaiting pickup by
> >an intended recipient. Additionally the ability to specify that the
> >request to retrieve this content needs to be "signed" by the intended
> >recipient (i.e. a "sign for pickup" facility)
>
> The service can function as a document transport mechanism?  I assume this
> wouldn't apply to DSS, but I'm still a little curious when/why
> would this be
> useful?  What EPM operations are called to implement this on the
> Sender and
> Receiver sides?
>
> <ed>
> When a DSS is verifiying signature objects very often the entire
> SignedInfo
> is presented to the service. For non-repudiation purposes the
> entire request
> as well as the verification results are stored in the NR DB. As such the
> service has the content. Now if the sender requires confirmation
> of receipt,
> it is a fairly simple matter to direct the recipient to the service using
> the TransactionKey and have them "pickup" the signed document.
> Furthermore,
> the originator can request that the recipient sign for this pick-up thus
> implementing yet another pillar of non-repudiation "non-repudiation of
> receipt". This can take place without any more transport than normally
> occurs in the originator signs, originator sends via eMail, recipient
> verifies scenario. If subscribers prefer to utilize transport agents of
> their own, the DSS is involved more passively at each end. Remember,
> non-repudiation must support a complete story, and has no arbitrary
> boundaries. As such we scoped in the interface to a transport
> agent through
> the "vouching" mechanism described below. The conclusion of this
> dialog will
> fall out of the scoping decision. Does OASIS intend to address
> non-repudiation with this protocol submission. Again, I contend
> that if they
> don't, the overlap with existing standards will simply confuse.
> </ed>

<NP>
Getting DSS into such data handling applications is opening up to a whole
new area of issues.  I suggest the scope of DSS is limited to signing, not
data handling.  It should not preclude the use of digital signatures to
provide non-repudiation services (e.g. non repudiation of message
submission, receipt etc) as part of an application service.
<NP>

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php