dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] EPM use cases: some questions and one requeriment.

Hi Ed,

inline, some questions we can discuss on the call -

At 12:28 AM 6/26/2003 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:

> [...]

I think you're arguing that "re-production of evidence by Trusted Third
Parties of [...] elements of non-repudiation are crucial" to verifying
digital signatures.  I thought the point of digital signatures, and
certificates, and time-stamps, is that Alice can create a time-stamped
signature, and Bob can verify it, and if there's a dispute Judge Judy can
verify it, but there's no need for a TTP to store something for every
signature.

I only skimmed through the references, but they seemed to support this:

According to the ABA reference,
  - section 5.1 - "A message bearing a digital signature verified by the
public key listed in a valid certificate is as valid, effective, and
enforceable as if the message had been written on paper."
  - section 5.2 - "Where a rule of law requires a signature, or provides
for certain consequences in the absence of a signature, that rule is
satisfied by a digital signature which is (1) affixed by the signer with
the intent of signing the message, and (2) verified by reference to the
public key listed in a valid certificate."

According to ISO/IEC 13888-3,
  - section 8.1 - "An NRO token is used to provide protection against the
originator's false denial of having originated the message.  The NRO token
is generated by the originator A of the message m (or authority C), sent by
A to the recipient B, [and] stored by the recipient B after
verification."  The definitions that follow make it clear that such a
non-repudiation-of-origin-token is basically just the signer's public-key
signature on a message.
This document also mentions possible roles for 3rd parties such as CAs and
TSAs, and "Notary Authorities" (similar to a DSS signing service) and
"Evidence Recording Authorities".  But the last two are in an informative
annex (as opposed to normative, I guess), and there's no mention of them
being required for verifying signatures.

>To whom is this postmark meaningful, and what does it mean?
>
><ed>
>In certain scenarios and/or jurisdictions the onus of proof in the event of
>a legal challenge on the alleged signing of a document may rest with the
>signator. In such cases and scenarios, a receipt of non-repudiation of
>origin (what we innocently label the PostMark) would be valuable and worth
>paying for.[...]
></ed>

I'm not sure what you mean by "receipt of non-repudiation of origin", but
it sounds like a non-repudiation of origin token per ISO/IEC 13888-3, in
which case I would think the the signer's time-stamped signature is sufficient.

>According to A11, "The main purpose of the EPM is to provide a
>non-repudiation service that attests Who, What, Why, When a document was
>signed, plus the archival service".  Isn't this provided by a normal,
>time-stamped digital signature?
>
><ed>
>No, it does not. Validity, integrity, and trustworthiness are still very
>much in doubt and inadmissable in nearly all jurisdictions.
></ed>

Could you give some examples?  I'm not aware of digital signature laws that
require a TTP to create a "receipt of non-repudiation of origin" for each
signature, or to archive each signature.  Though I don't know much about
these laws in general.

Trevor