dss message

Subject: RE: EPM postmark

At 04:33 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:

> [...]

Here's my confusion - all the above references talk about doing *both* of:
  - adding certificate and revocation data to a signature
  - time-stamping it

My impression was that EPM, when asked to Verify/ApplyPostmark, *only*
applies a timestamp to the signature:

<element name="ApplyPostMark" type="boolean"/>
<!--
Replaces the need for a separate VerifyPostMark verb. This indicator
instructs the
EPM Service to insert a timestamp token within the incoming signature
using the native TSA timestamp service.
-->

Thus, it seemed to me that EPM was non-standard, since EPM was using a
time-stamp to mean not only "this data existed at time T", but "this data
was valid/non-revoked at time T".

It's likely I'm misunderstanding EPM, so I hope you can clarify.

>I could imagine situations where the signer would want to use one TSA but a
>different cert-path validation service.
>
><ed>
>I can't. This is a daunting task to understand, let alone implement.
>Commercial availability of TSA and OCSP Services are scant to non-existent.
></ed>
>
>And since TSAs and validation services are concepts that are already being
>designed and deployed, it might be better for an EPM service to separately
>add cert validation info into a signature, and then time-stamp it,
>
><ed>
>... This is exactly what ETSI 101 733/903 does. If you are not proposing to
>follow suit, then what is being proposed ?
></ed>

Yes, that's what seems to me the standard approach.  It seems that EPM is
deviating from this approach, by using the timestamp token to make a
statement about the validity of the signature.  So I was pointing that out.

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of EPM's Verify/ApplyPostmark, so
we can investigate how such an operation would be implemented using the DSS
framework.

>as opposed to overloading an RFC 3161 time-stamp token with the semantics
>"the signature this was applied to also has a valid certificate chain".
>
><ed>
>This is the domain of SignaturePolicy ... See CommitmentRules, etc ... This
>kind of flexibility is already built into the exisiting published standards.

Are you saying put those kind of things into an RFC 3161
TimeStampToken?  To me, that sounds like abusing the concept of a
TST.  According to RFC 3161, "The TSA is REQUIRED[...]not to examine the
imprint being time-stamped in any way", which seems to imply that a TST
should be used purely for time-stamping, not for conveying anything else
about the timestamped data.

>Again, I believe DSS still has a challenge of differentiating itself. I also
>contend that the EPM gives it a good start.

I'm not sure what he have to differentiate ourselves against. But I agree
that EPM has a lot of good ideas we should build off of, and that's it's
important for us to get a solid understanding of EPM before going
forward.  Thanks for helping explain it.

Trevor