dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Naming convention proposal

Nick - I have done my usual cursory research and concluded that there is no
common solution on which to draw.  The chairs did produce a draft proposal
for naming documents only.  It is linked from the OASIS Web page, but the
link didn't function when I tried it earlier this week.  Some on the chairs
list seem to think that the TAB or the OASIS board is progressing that work.
But, the out-going chair of the TAB thinks anyone holding that view is
mistaken.

For the time-being, while we have more than one author, and if we want
consistency amongst our names, it looks like we'll have to define our own
convention.

In the meantime, I did make some small revisions to my proposal, and the
latest version is included below.

All the best.  Tim.

Object naming guidelines

Basic form:

URI - "http://www.oasis-open.org/tc"/committee/major-version/
part/object/status/version.extension

Note: OASIS should ensure that (where appropriate) the object or information
about the object is retrieved by an HTTP GET operation using this URI.  It
is not currently possible to achieve this within KAVI.

Document identifier -
"oasis-tc"-committee-major-version-part-object-status-version.extension

Name of a file when not in a hierarchical file system -
"oasis-tc"-committee-major-version-part-object-status-version.extension

committee
The lower-case initials of the full name of the committee as listed on the
OASIS Web page.  (OASIS should ensure that no name clashes occur.)

major-version - "v"x.y
The proposed version number of the final committee specification with which
the document is associated.

part
	The name of a project sub-part (e.g. "core" or a profile name).

object
	Specification - "spec"
	Schema - "schema"
	Data model - "data-model"
	Attribute definition - "attribute"
	Conformance criteria - "conformance"
etc..

Note: No such list will ever be exhaustive.  A good attempt should be made
to complete the list.  But oftentimes, committees will have to define their
own special-purpose objects.  And any inconsistency that may arise will just
have to be accepted.

status
	Working draft - "wd"
	Committee specification - "cs"
	OASIS specification - "os"

version - "v"x
x increments from 01.
Note: This component must be omitted from the final version of an object.

extension
	".doc"
	".pdf"
	".xsd"
	etc.

Note: each committee is responsible for ensuring that no name clashes occur
within the portion of a name over which they have control.

Example:

URI -
http://www.oasis-open.org/tc/dss/v1.0/timestamp-token/schema/wd/v01.xsd