dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] RE: ProcessingOptions example and discussion

Colleagues - Two comments; one minor and one a bit more significant.  First
the minor one ...

A more efficient way of encoding the various options is as an empty element.
So, they would appear like this ...

<IncludeTimeStampXAdES-A/>
<ReturnDetachedTimeStampToken/>

Instead of like this ...

<IncludeTimeStampXAdES-A>true</IncludeTimeStampXAdES-A>
<ReturnDetachedTimeStampToken>true</ReturnDetachedTimeStampToken>

The second thing is that these processing options are an expression of
security policy.  There is a distinct trend towards moving security (and
other types of) policy into an infrastructure layer.  Statements in the
policy language will be opaque to clients.  They may pass them to a service
like the one we are defining, they may provide a reference to them, or they
may leave all that entirely up to the service to figure out.

There are a number of candidate languages.  See WS-Policy and WSPL (from the
makers of XACML).

Therefore, we need an open container for passing instances of any security
policy language or a reference to an instance.

It will (of course) be possible to accommodate Ed's expressions in this
container.

All the best.  Tim.