dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Re: TSTInfoType

Colleagues - My feeling is that we shouldn't just add extension points, in
case some bright-spark thinks of something they could use it for.  We should
have a clear idea of what it is allowed to be used for.  In particular, if a
token is used in a SOAP header with the MustUnderstand attribute set TRUE,
then we must specify how a recipient must behave if it does not understand
information in the extension.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 2:48 PM
To: Nick Pope; OASIS DSS TC

At 06:00 PM 11/15/2003 +0000, Nick Pope wrote:

>Dimitry, Trevor
>
>1) I agree to adding TSA to the TSTInfo so that it is equivalent to the
>RFC 3161 timestamp

Yes, adding a "TSA" would make our TSTInfo more like an RFC 3161
TSTInfo.  The latest draft has a dss:NameType which could be used for that.

>2) I suggest that TSTInfo has an extension field where other
>information can be added.

Why does this need to be made extensible?  Just general principles?

>3) Instead of trying to extend the RFC 3161 equivalent structure to
>support linked time-stamps, I suggest that this needs a different
>structure around the TSTInfo.
>
>4) I suggest that the core defines a generic structure for a time-stamp
>which includes a choice between:
>  - the currest TST structure providing equivalent to RFC 3161
>time-stamps
>  - base64 encoded RFC 3161 time-stamp
>  - ANY other profile specific time-stamp structure

I like that.  I'll try to summarize the 3 proposed Time-Stamp formats
(Dimitri's, Tim's, Nick's):

Dimitri
----------
Dimitri suggests an enveloped signature, inside a <Tst> element, so that
<LinkingInfo> and the <ds:Signature> can exist side-by-side, or one of them
can be omitted:

<Tst>
   <TstInfo>
   <LinkingInfo>
   <ds:Signature>
     <SignedInfo>
     <SignatureValue>
     <KeyInfo>
   </ds:Signature>
</Tst>

Tim
----------
The current timestamp format has a <Tst> element of type
ds:SignatureType.  This is an *enveloping* signature - the <TstInfo> is
inside it:

<Tst>
   <SignedInfo>
   <SignatureValue>
   <KeyInfo>
   <Object>
     <TstInfo>
   </Object>
</Tst>

Nick
----------
This adds an enclosing <Timestamp>, which can contain different types of
Timestamp Tokens, such as Tim's <Tst>, or a Base64-encoded RFC 3161
TimeStampToken, or some future thing that Dimitri defines:

<Timestamp>
   <XMLTst>           <!-- per Tim's proposal -->
</Timestamp>

<Timestamp>
   <RFC3161Tst>
</Timestamp

<Timestamp>
   <LinkingTst>
</Timestamp

Personally, I like Nick's proposal, since it lets us keep the current
<Tst>, and it incorporates RFC 3161 timestamp tokens and other types (such
as linking).

Trevor

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php