dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping Profile Q 1/3: Type of "SignatureObject"

Nick's point below about the desirability of a profile being as specific as
possible to aid interoperability got me thinking.

I've been working on a 'Policy-wiser Server' profile, the jist of which is
that its appropriate when the DSS client is either ignorant of
signing/verifying policy or has no authority to specify it. I had been
thinking of its specific to the creation/verification of an XML Signature.

The 'Policy-wise Server' profile, unlike the others being proposed, is
designed to capture a characteristic of the relationship between client and
server (or their supporting infrastructure) rather than a particular
application, e.g. timestamping or WS-Security. And this particular
relationship character (dumb client/smart server) may be applicable to other
more specific application profiles.

For instance, if the WS-Sec profile describes how a client interacts with a
server in order to create XML Signatures apprporiate to insertion in a
WS-Sec <Security> header, some such clients could be policy-aware, others
not.

Do people imagine that a dumb client in this scenario would support both the
WS-Sec profile and the policy-wise server profile?

Or, should we recognize that there appears to be a qualitative difference
between these two profiles, one specific to a particular application
scenario, the other a sort of metaprofile that other specific profiles could
draw upon or not.

Thoughts?

Paul