dss message

Subject: Attendance and minutes for jan 12 meeting

Please send any corrections or additions to the list, not to me.
	/r$
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com

>Date:  Monday, 12 January 2004
>Time:  12:00pm - 01:00pm Eastern Time

Voting Members

Dimitri Andivahis, Surety
Juan Carlos Cruellas, self
David Finkelstein, RSA Security
Pieter Kasselman, Baltimore
Andreas Kuehne, self
Hal Lockhart, BEA Systems
Mike McIntosh, IBM
John Messing, American Bar Association
Tim Moses, Entrust
Anthony Nadalin, IBM
Trevor Perrin, self
Nick Pope, self
John Ross, self
Rich Salz, DataPower Technology
Krishna Yellepeddy, IBM

Prospective Members

Paul Madsen, Entrust

>1. Welcome by chair (Nick Pope).

        Done.

>2. Confirm Minutes Secretary (Rich Salz)

        Done.

>3. Roll Call.

        Details to be provided by Hal.
        Numbers were 12 of 20 -- quorum achieved.

>4. Approval of Agenda

        Approved by acclamation.

>5. Approval of Minutes of DSS TC Face to Face previous meeting:
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/4637/dss-minutes-15-dec-2003.txt

        Approved by acclamation.

>6. Review of outstanding actions

        See below.

>7. Core document. (WD-09)
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/4915/oasis-dss-1.0-core-spec-wd-09.doc

        Trevor: Minor changes in most recent version -- AI
        03-11-04-1, and a typo fix.  Mostly stable, need to track
        profiles and bindings, update references.  PDF version
        now available.

>8. Profiles - presentation of initial ideas

>- Timestamping
>     http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/4919/oasis-dss-1.0-timestamping-profile-spec-wd-01.doc

        Trevor:  Hopefully produce template for others to use.
        Have some questions, including:
           +What type of timestamp to produce (RFC 3161, XML, etc);
            allow multiple types, or define a specific format (X509
            based?)
           +What transport, security, etc., bindings are needed?
           +What type of security (signed requests, authenticated errors,
            etc) is needed for the protocol interactions?
        Trevor will send out a summary of the issues. [NEW AI]

        Nick:  worth separate sections on bindings, protocols, etc.
        Will send email with more details.

        Juan-Carlos:  If doing CMS-signatures, need to understand
        relationship to RFC 3161 -- is it a competitor?

        Trevor(?): This is a good reason to be generic on timestamp
        format.

        Nick: endorse using timestamp profile as layout template for
        others.

>- XAdES
>      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200401/doc00000.doc

        Juan-Carlos:  short proposal with underlying thoughts.
        Based on lifecycle of XAdES: creation, initial verification,
        refresh/update (such as for archiving) or asking for timestamp
        for validation, re-verification for (after the fact)
        arbitration purposes.  Profile would support all these phases.

        ?: Arbitration?

        J-C:  Yes, open archive and re-verify.

>- WS-Security profile

        Nick:  Frederick is interested, but was not present at the meeting
        to provide update.

>- Corporate seal profile

        Nick:  Also of interset to legalXML.  Will wait and see
        to better understand their requirements, discuss with John.
        Idea is to support third-party.

        John:  I thought we also wanted to support an entity acting
        on its own behalf.  And take on legal obligation as a result.

        Nick: This is more than just integrity.

        John:  yes.

        Nick:  This might be same mechanism, but meaning behind it
        might be different.

        John:  Need to make sure person acting as the signer is authorized,
        to make sure it's not "hijacked."  Different from tamper-proof seal.

        Nick:  This might be a separate profile.

>- Code-signing profile

        Peter:  Mapping elements from core to code-signing world.
        Want to keep it generic, than in appendices have mappings to
        specific code-signing formats.  Alternative is to have separate
        documents.  A reason for this is that there are a large number
        of code signing formats, so separate documents might be easier
        to add support.  More details to be posted to the list.

        Nick:  Generic profiles, with sub-profiles?

        Peter:  Yes.  Here's the generic, and then here's how to
        apply the generic to CAB files, etc.  Need to think how to
        enable many types of mappings.  I will send to the list to
        get the ball rolling.

>- EPM Profile

        Nick:  Steve expressed interest on the list in submitting
        something; they need to get the right resources involved.

        Juan-Carlos:  We should take an action to ping them via
        email.  [NEW AI on the chairs]

    Discussion on policy-wise
        Paul:  Core allows for many options
        Paul: Server is responsible for determine signature
        type, etc.

        Nick:  So this is for a dumb client?

        Paul:  Dumb, or underprivileged.

>9. Profiles - next steps
>- Tasks on specific profiles
>- Co-ordination tasks
        Nick: How to organize profiling, find common
        structure, ensure alignment with the core?

        Juan-Carlos:  A general coordinator would need to assess
        alignment of profiles with core.  For example, XML constructs
        being re-used from the core.  In XAdES we came up with
        a list of tasks on how to accomplish the profile.

        Rich:  so it's like a "style manager."  I think it's a
        very good thing.

        Nick:  think about taking on this role.  Chairs will discuss.

        Juan-Carlos: what about a task list?  We [chairs] should discuss
        to see which of the tasks make sense to circulate for others
        doing profiles.

        Nick:  Some, such as time-stamping, are very straightforward.
        Some will need more work.

        Juan-Carlos:  Yes.  Having a task list makes it easier to
        track progress of profiles when we better understand what they
        need to specify.

        Nick:  Really want a short document from all profiles for next
        meeting so that we can determine what the next steps should be.

        Trevor: Authors should look at TS profile, which is pretty
        simple, to see how appropriate the structure is to their
        profiles.

        ?: You mean the XAdES outline?

        Nick:  That's the minimum; if you can get into more detail,
        that's fine.  But do it in time for review at next meeting.

>10. Any other business

        None.

>11. Confirm next conference call: 26th Jan 04

        Confirmed.

>12. Close

        Done.

>--

New action items:

    04-01-12-01 Trevor:  Send out summary of the issues discovered
    while developing the timestamping profile.

    04-01-12-02 Juan-Carlos/Nick:  Ping EPM folks via email.

>Outstanding Actions:

>03-11-04-1 / 03-12-15-1: Trevor is to add a note in the core document
>to indicate that profiles must explain the semantics of the claimed
>identity element.

        Done.

>03-11-17-3   Juan-Carlos has circulated a proposal: Potential
>contents of additional details present in the verification response -
>JC/Trevor to continue discussion on potential contens for additional
>details

        Their discussions continuing; still open.

>03-11-17-4. John Messing to ask the legalXML group meeting if they
>want to submit a profile for DSS and if they want to will (sic) it to be
>defined as a formal signature.

        Issue raised; they have no interest.  They are considering
        a "digital lock" which is like other DigSig profiles.
        Likely: hash will be minimal, but sig will be "best practice."
        Formal issue closed, but John will track with they're doing.

>03-12-15-2: Juan-Carlos and Nick are to request expressions of
>interest in developing profiles for the next meeting.

        Done.  Some interest expressed; see below.

>03-12-15-3: All who are interested in developing a profile are to
>provide a discussion of the proposed characteristics of the profile
>by the next meeting.

        Paul Madsen policy-wise server profile: how to use DSS
        protocol when all hash mechanism, etc., issues are handled by
        server.  Paul to send a note to the list.