dss message

Subject: DSS schema namespace URI

Hi all,

Let's try to figure out what our schema namespace URI should be.

Right now we use the OASIS URN described in RFC 3121, as do SAML and XACML:

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion
urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:policy

Frederick proposed a URL namespace:
"""
  (2) I propose we use URL(s) for the dss namespace(s). This has the
advantage that optionally the schema can be retrieved from the URL.
OASIS is defining a standard for defining such persistent URLs, other
TCs like WSS have adopted this approach.
"""

WSS is using this namespace:
<http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd>http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd

I asked Karl Best about this, and he said OASIS was setting up a system
for permanent documents, of the form:

The <dirname> part can be chosen by the TC.  The filename part should be
something like "oasis-dss-1.0-core-schema.xsd".  Karl didn't have an
opinion on whether it was preferable to use the URL or URN form for schema
namespaces.

My opinion: the URL form is long and ugly.  Also, we need identifiers for
other things that aren't documents, which seems like they should use the
URN form.  And it's not clear how to choose <dirname> yet, and the
document system isn't set up yet.  So I say stick with the URN.

Thoughts?

Trevor