dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] timestamping profile wd-05

At 12:37 PM 3/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Trevor,
>How about this alternative to your second paragraph below:
>
>"The client SHOULD only send a single input document
>if the server receiving the request returns time-stamps
>that can only cover one document per time-stamp (e.g. RFC 3161)."

If the server "returns time-stamps that can only cover one document per
time-stamp", then the client MUST only send a single input document, SHOULD
isn't right for that case, since SHOULD means "there may exist valid
reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item":
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html

The above text also doesn't say what do if the client doesn't know what
type of time-stamp the server returns.  The below text covers that case:
the client should play it safe, and send a single document.

So I still like the below text better.  What are your objections to the
below text? (do you think it's ambiguous?  or do you think it's behavior is
wrong?).

>"The client MUST only send <DocumentHash> input documents.  The client MUST
>NOT sent <Document> input documents.
>
>The client SHOULD only send a single input document, since some types of
>time-stamps (e.g. RFC 3161) can only cover one document per time-stamp."

Trevor