dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Groups - oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-codesigning-spec-wd-01.doc uploaded

At 04:15 PM 3/16/2004 +0000, pkasselman@betrusted.com wrote:

>The document oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-codesigning-spec-wd-01.doc has been
>submitted by Pieter Kasselman (pkasselman@betrusted.com) to the OASIS
>Digital Signature Services TC document repository.
>
>Document Description:
>Abstract Code-Signing Profile - First Draft
>
>Download Document:
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5967/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-codesigning-spec-wd-01.doc

Hi Pieter,

I see this profile adds asynchronous capabilities to the signing
protcol.  I.e.:
  - client makes 1st request, gets back a RequestReference instead of a
signature
  - client waits some period of time
  - client makes 2nd request, sends RequestReference, gets signature

It's a legitimate scenario, and it was in our Requirements for awhile,
though we decided to remove it at the F2F.

Anyways, adding this functionality through a profile sorta twists the
intent, if not the letter, of the core protocol:
  - The 1st request returns a "success" but not a signature
  - the 2nd request doesn't contain any input documents (technically
illegal, given the current schema).

These aren't show-stoppers, but I wonder if there's a cleaner
approach.  Suppose we add a "Pending" or "TryAgainLater" ResultMajor code
in the core, meaning that the client should try the exact same request at
some later time.

This would be simpler for the end-user:  the software developer would just
re-run his command-line tool, without having to keep track of the
RequestReference.  It would also have less impact on the protocol: we
wouldn't need RequestReference, nor would we need to stretch the rules as
above.

Would this be a good solution?

Minor Comments
-----------------------
The latest template has some different boilerplate for the Abstract and
Introduction.  In particular, it calls the whole document a profile, as
opposed to denoting "protocol profiles", "signature profiles", etc.
separately.  Don't feel obliged to change, but I think the latest text is
clearer:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5985/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-XYZ-spec-wd-04.pdf

Line 152 - since this profile is abstract, it doesn't need a URI identifier.

Line 154 - remove bracketed "[s]".

Line 156-157 - if you're changing to the new boilerplate, change it from
"the profiles in this document are based on the" to "this profile is based
on the".

Trevor