dss message

Subject: comments on Core Spec WD 17 & xsd

Hi all,

some pseudo-editorial comments to the Core Spec WD 17

- line 353: elements -> attributes (according to xsd)

- line 530: If it's mentioned in 1.d that the children of <DocumentHash>
  elements are taken as "output" of this step, the distinctions in 2.d and
  2.e don't have to be made.

- line 547: Using C14N: isn't this the default behavior of XMLSig ?
  I know the 'user' can override this default, but maybe it should be
  mentioned that the default behavior is a MUST for this spec?

- Line 1100: "The <XMLTimeStampToken> element is of type
  ds:SignatureType. Using ds:SignatureType allows conventional XML Signature
  implementations to validate the signature,"
  So a <dss:Timestamp> looks like this:
  <Timestamp>
    <XMLTimeStampToken Id="ID000010">
      <ds:SignedInfo Id="ID000011">
      <ds:CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="aaaaa"></ds:CanonicalizationMethod>
      <ds:SignatureMethod Algorithm="bbbbb"></ds:SignatureMethod>
      etc...
    </XMLTimeStampToken>
  </Timestamp>

  I agree that this looks like an XML DSig an that it can be verified as
  if it was on ordinary XML DSig, but I don't know if an
  ordinary XMLDSig implementation will be able to verify this, since
  the <ds:Signature> element is replaced by <dss:XMLTimeStampToken>
  (different element names, different namespace)

- line 1140: creationTime attribute value
  -> CreationTime (element) value)

- line 1168: Omitting the URI from a reference. If the TstInfo can have an
  ID, why not just refer to it? From the XMLDSig spec:
  "If the URI attribute is omitted altogether, the receiving application
   is expected to know the identity of the object.  For example, a
   lightweight data protocol might omit this attribute given the
   identity of the object is part of the application context."
  I see two inconsistencies:
  * this is not a light-weight implementation
  * it's not possible to pull the signature through a 'standard'
    verification program

- line 1172-1176: tstInfo->TstInfo, policy, errorbound and creationtime
  are elements, not attributes

- the .xsd file: I had to change 2 things to load it into XMLSpy:
  * The dss namespace declaration:
    xmlns:dss="http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/dss/2004/04/oasis-dss-1.0-core-schema-wd-17.xsd";
    -> xmlns:dss="urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema"
  * The SAML namespace import:
    schemaLocation="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3407/
    oasis-sstc-saml-schema-protocol-1.1.xsd"
    ->  schemaLocation="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3408/
    oasis-sstc-saml-schema-assertionl-1.1.xsd"
  (I'm not an expert in these things, so don't ask me why :)

That's it for the moment;
I'm also planning to make some constructive remarks on how to embed
linked-timestamps into DSS. To be continued.

best regards,

Karel Wouters
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven                       tel. +32 16 32 96 17
Dept. Electrical Engineering-ESAT / COSIC
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10, B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee, BELGIUM

                        http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/cosic