dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] "Required" Designation on SignatureObject within VerifyRequest

At 12:12 AM 4/16/2004 -0400, Ed Shallow wrote:
>Trevor,
>
>     Please find attached a facsimile of your "challenge" document. It was
> created in minutes with XMLSec V1.2.4 invoked through Python-XMLSec
> bindings on a RedHat 9 platform. This signature was subsequently sent
> back in on a Verify call to the same library "WITHOUT A SINGLE XPATH
> REFERENCE" or any any hint whatsoever at signature location within the
> document.

Sure, you're using a high-level function that first searches for a
<ds:Signature> element, and then calls the lower-level verify function on
this element.  If you knew where the signature was, you could have verified
that element directly.

>My point was that many libraries do not require this information and
>consequently neither will many our DSS implementors. It is superfluous and
>an unecessary inconvenience for clients.

Now the inconvenience is on the server-side: the server has to search for
the element, which the client could easily have just pointed to.

Furthermore, leaving things implicit adds risks: suppose Alice expects a
signed document from Bob.  But a bad-guy intercepts the document, changes
it, and adds his own signature.  If the client doesn't tell the server
which signature to verify, the server might verify the bad-guy's signature
and say "A-OK", but the client would think the server had verified Bob's
signature!

So at best this is a small special-case simplification; at worst it's a
security flaw.  I'm still opposed to it, but I've flagged it as an open
issue in wd-19, so we'll see what other people say.

>     What I am asking is a trivial change. Simply remove the [Required]
> designation on the SignatureObject. I have just shown to you a perfectly
> legitimate (and implemnted) example of when it is.

It's a trivial syntax change.  It's non-trivial in its effect on server
processing, and security.

Trevor