dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] "Required" Designation on SignatureObject within VerifyRequest

These are all good points, which must be debated and discussed. However I do
not think it has to be an all or none proposition. I'' address your specific
citings below. Remembering however that they are optional to start with, and
also that I am focusing on the Verify not the Sign where signature-centricty
makes absolute sense.

- ReturnSigningTime is primarily intended as an optional input directive on
a sign not a verify
- ReturnProcessingDetails, see line 958 of section 4.5.4 which allows for
multiple detail elements of the same type, minor changes here could easily
handle the multiple signature scenario, or profiles could extend it, or
simply get specific in the Message element (last resort)
- ReturnSignerIdentity - see the co-signed example I sent the list, Identity
is already present in the X509Data element and would cover this requirement
without any optional output, certainly not on the Verify where this debate
lies
- ReturnUpdatedSignature - this one I would simply constrain when multiple
signatures exist within a document, the profiling allows for that

I don't see this as a huge issue and I certainly do not believe it requires
a separate protocol or a massive overhaul.

My biggest concern is that you are taking the first step in hand-cuffing
profiles from exploring these areas with this overly restrictive stance on
the core. You do not have to embrace the document-centric approach within
the core, but please do not prevent profiles from supporting it, or force
profiles to bend the core excessively.

Ed