dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Another Inconsistency

Trevor,

I haven't followed all the dialogue but I believe that Ed has a point that in verify the SignatureObject and InputDocuments should be optional.

Nick
-----Original Message-----
From: ed.shallow@rogers.com [mailto:ed.shallow@rogers.com]
Sent: 19 April 2004 12:19
To: dss@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dss] Another Inconsistency

Trevor,

    There is yet another more fundamental inconsistency in the core as it applies to CMS. The core protocol supports a basic CMS Sign through use of the SignatureType element set to urn:ietf:rfc:3369. This requires no extending or special profiling handling and is clearly documented.

   On the flip side one cannot simply pass this newly created ASN binary signature back in for Verification without breaking the [Optional] [Required] designations in the spec. That is, both InputDocuments and SIgntaureObject are [Required]. If the CMS signature is detached, this works fine since the implementation will need both to Verify. If however the CMS Signature includes the signed content one has nothing to put in InputDocuments.

    This is just more fuel to make InputDocuments and SignatureObjects [Optional]. Basic support for CMS is still present in the core on the Sign, but not quite there on the Verify. Forcing profiles to entirely new elements in these 2 basic areas is dooming the profile to unnecessary compexity.

    We are down to this last request ... Make both InputDocuments and SIgnatureObject [Optional]. An InputDocument can contain a signature, and a signature can carry the signed document. Both are very common in both XMLDSIG and CMS. And in single document or signature scenarios when one is present, the other is redundant. I vote this needs fixing.

Ed