dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] CMS

semantic text I sent you. It is good for the "Verify this" scenario.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: April 21, 2004 6:28 AM
To: ed.shallow@rogers.com
Cc: dss@lists.oasis-open.org

At 02:00 AM 4/21/2004 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:
>[Trevor]:
>I had 2 previous questions about your approach to CMS:
>   a) how would you do client-side hashing with enveloping CMS signatures?
>[i.e. if an enveloping signature is included in a <Base64Signature>].
>
><ed>
>In the CMS world, there is really only detached and enveloping.
>Presently the core is not sufficiently specific on SignatureType for a
>Sign, although I suppose we can add additional URNs in section 7.1 to
>further specify CMS sub-types.

Yeah, we'll have to do something like that.

>b) which SignerInfos does the server verify?  All?  The first?  The one
>indicated by the client?
><ed>
>We would not be working with SignerInfos in the core in this scenario,
>so this is rhetorical. See below for the XMLDSIG answers.

In your proposal, the client sends a SignedData.  When a SignedData contains
multiple SignerInfos (co-signatures or counter-signatures), what does the
server do?

Well, there's several choices, and I presume we can choose one.  I see
pluses and minuses to each of our approaches to CMS.  I'll try to summarize
them in a separate email.

Anyways, moving on to the issue of allowing <SignatureObject> to be absent
with XML-DSIG.  You suggest some default semantics (ie processing rules) for
a missing <SignatureObject>.

I don't like the idea of profiles overriding default semantics with new
semantics.  Also, the default semantics you suggest are fairly complicated,
and their benefit is minor - allowing the client to omit a <SignatureObject>
in a particular case.

However, you make a good point that I was trying to use <SignatureObject>
sub-elements as flags or directives, which isn't appropriate.

So I would agree with making <SignatureObject> omittable, but I would prefer
to leave the semantics undefined in the core.  This way, we don't complicate
core processing, but profiles have the lattitude to implement
"document-centric" verification, if they want.

Is this a good compromise, on the "optional <SignatureObject>" issue?

Trevor

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php
.