dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] CMS (request for comments)

Trevor !

>>> Right - the benefits of client-side hashing (bandwidth-savings,
>>> privacy) can't be achieved.
>>>
>>> Actually, that's not quite true - the client could re-code the
>>> enveloping signature as a detached signature.  In other words, the
>>> client could remove the enveloped data.  This requires changing the
>>> length fields within the SignedData, so it's a little more surgery
>>> than just extracting SignerInfo's and certificates, but it's possible.
>>

>> In 1980 I built my first modem with 300 baud. This gadget would have
>> caused the need for this otptimization.
>

> Well, I dunno - input documents could be large (for code-signing, say,
> or an S/MIME attachment).

Well, thought about signed jars as detached signatures .. the classes
aren't included in the signature, are they ?

>> I would suggest the usual approach : The core rejects
>> co-/counter-signatures, a special profiles handles it.
>

> Yeah, after looking into it some more, it seems that
> co/counter-signatures in CMS aren't used much if at all.  So I agree
> with not supporting them in core.  Someone can write a more elaborate
> profile if they want.

Yes, it's the beauty of the core/Profile approach I appreciate more and
more !

Everyone understands the core, noone has to read through precautions
made for problems he hadn't heard of, yet ( like German Sig Law, linking
timestamps, ... ). And you just have work through the two or three
profiles your interested in.

Greetings

Andreas