dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] RE: [dss-comment] Public Comment

Nick,

   To be more clear ... Veiko's problem is that he has no DSS core operation
upon which to place his "here are my signing platform characteristics,
please return me a page with a suitable signing control (i.e. ActiveX
Automation Control or Java Applet) to perform the user's local signing".

   You correctly state this use unduly overloads the Sign protocol, and I
agree. Veiko is left with no choice but to perform this exchange outside the
scope of DSS since his application is a client-side signing one. The means
Veiko can only attempt to make his Verify and Timestamp activities
DSS-compliant.

   That is why I asked in my previous note, can we help "facilitate"
client-side signing in the DSS profile ? The whole notion of page-resident
signing controls, as I am sure many of you are aware, is very HTML response
page centric. That is, ActiveX Controls must reside in HTML object tags
(e.g. <Object ID=... CLASSID= ... CODEBASE= ... etc ...>) for them to kick
into action under browser control. In a similar way Java Applets travel to
the client on their hosting page. This is the domain of numerous and
extremely popular HTML thin presentation frameworks (e.g. Active Server
Pages, Java Server Pages, Cold Fusion Markup Language, and dozens of
others).

  Is this something DSS really wants to get into, even if only tangentially
? I suspect Veiko's DSS client is in fact such a Control, and based on
desktop characteristics he wants to "HTTP GET" a suitably-formatted HTML
page in a <SignResponse> with all necessary <object> tagging to be displayed
in his current browser session and is wondering if DSS can be extended to do
something like this. Actually his hypothetical verb might be better named
"CreateSigningPage" which would have a Request and a Response similar to our
other operations. This could be complemented with a "VerifySignedPage" with
its Request and Response which would be an HTTP POST instead of a GET. You
can see the similarity and I don't blame him for asking.

  I mentioned other things the server could help with, all in a "support and
facilitate" role for client-side signing activities. This however is scope
expansion for sure. What about non-Browser based signing ? If we do not
expand the scope (I am on the fence here), we are clearly stating to the
public community that we are exclusively a server-side spec for signing and
verifying, period.

  If we know this answer now, we should simply come clean with Veiko and
tell him his request, although interesting, is out of DSS's scope, and that
he can strive to make the rest of his service DSS-compliant.

Ed