dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Updated nested renewed timestamps

Dimitri,

A few specific comments:

1) 3.1.1

Server Support for <RenewTimestamp> is optional.  So:

The timestamping specific optional input <RenewTimestamp> MAY also supported
and may be sent by the client.

2) 3.2.3

I would use the same word "supported". So:
"and the server is able to process it" ->
  "and it is supported by the server"

Also, I would start the sentence "A server that does not support the
<RenewTimestamp> optional input must reject the sign request with a
<ResultMajor> code of RequesterError and a <ResultMinor> code of
NotSupported." on a new paragraph.

3) The definition of Timestamp Token in the Core spec 5.1.1 needs updating
to allow several objects to be in <ds:reference>.

Also, the proposed text for 3.2.3 could be made clearer by adding to the
middle of the sentence as indicated in CAPITALS "An additional
<ds:SignedInfo>/<ds:Reference> REFERENCING THE
<DS:OBEJCT>/<DSS:PREVIOUSTIMESTAMP> must be included in the signature of the
new timestamp signature"

4) 4.1.2 This is only true if <PreviousTimestamp> is supported by the
server.  Also this is written in terms of what the client may do.  This is
described in a very long sentence that is very difficult to understand.  It
is not very clear that T1 is the time in a renewed timestamp and T2 is the
time value in the <PreviousTimestamp>.  Can you have another go at this
sentence.

5) It is not very clear that this an optional extension to the basic
time-stamping profile.  Particularly with verification, how does th cleint
know whether the server is checking any <PreviousTimestamp>  I suggest that
this would be much clearer if this was defined as a Profile which is defined
in the same document.

Nick