dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] XMLData problem in Core "Opaqueness

A quick update ...

What I am doing right now in support of both raw XML content in the XMLData element, as well as encoded content in the same element is as follows:

When processing the inbound request, when I arrive at the XMLData node I check the child node count. If that count is more than 1, then I assume it is raw XML and serialize the entire sub-tree. If it is 1, I can assume that it is encoded since there are no descendent nodes, and I then GetContent. Presently the only encoding that will work transparently is &lt; and &gt; escaping. It would be up to the implementation to ensure that the content before hashing is unescaped (i.e. back to < and >). Most librairies should do this, Gnome's libxml2 does. If not, it would be the implementation's responsibility. If the implementation chooses not to support this, then the XML directive line and PI lines would not likely be supportable. These restrictions would have to be documented.

The only other encoding that could be supported right now without structural change to the core schema is base64 by using the Base64Data choice of Document for XMLDSIG as well as CMS/PKCS7.

We could also consider simply adding an attribute to XMLData called "encoding" use="optional"

This could be in addition to Conrad's suggested change.

What do you folks think,
Ed

From: Edward Shallow [mailto:ed.shallow@rogers.com]
Sent: April 8, 2005 10:02 AM
To: ed.shallow@rogers.com; 'Konrad Lanz'
Cc: 'Juan Carlos Cruellas'; 'OASIS DSS TC'

Thanks Conrad for the reference back to your Apr 4th eMail. I (think I) understand your position now.

I believe your suggestions will work, although I am wary of the DOM-specific nature of the approach (i.e. node.ownerDocument, etc ...)

Also from a simplicity viewpoint, could we not consider more generalized support for "opaqueness thru encoding" as we do with Base64Data ? This would also address the PI and declaration issues.

I guess I am saying ... should we not consider both ?

Ed