dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] XMLData opaqueness

As discussed on the April 18th conference call, I prefer the more
accomodating "Atom" approach of adding an "encoding attribute". Certainly
Base64Data can be used, but only as an option, and not as the default. The
default, as discussed yesterday would be no "encoding" attribute which would
default to raw XML in XMLData. This comes with restrictions like sub-tree
only, no xml decalaration line, and no PI lines.

If you want to use the above then specify an encoding. Escaping or base64
being the options.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Pope [mailto:pope@secstan.com]
Sent: April 19, 2005 2:49 AM
To: dss@lists.oasis-open.org

Juan Carlos, Trevor, Ed et al,

What ever solution is taken to the opaqueness may I suggest that we
following the approach given in XMDSig:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-ReferenceProcessingModel

in that a default process is specified for producing an octet string but I
suggest that we should allow a range of means of passing the input document
and the DSS server may apply other transforms than the default to produce an
octet string.

I have some liking for the simplicity of what Trevor suggests of using
Base64 processed as an octet string but only as the default mechanism.

Nick