dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Way Forward on Basic Processing in terms of EnvelopedSignatures,ds:Objects (EnvelopingSignatures), client-side splicing plus client-sidetransforms.

Konrad Lanz wrote:
> Hi Trevor and all,
>
> Trevor Perrin wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>  a) making this a typical optional input, i.e. not part of basic
>> processing
>>  b) making this a fundamental part of the protocol, i.e. not an
>> optional input
>>
>> Since you intend profiles to choose it or not, I suggest (a).
>

> Thanks for bringing this up, this is a crucial point however we have to
> think this through and I think the right answer might be somewhere in
> between.
>
> Executive Summary:
> Please read Question I (QI ) and Answer III (QI AIII), (QII) (QII AII),
> (QIII AII) and (QIV) (QIV AI) to see my suggestion.

Okay, my suggestions below.

Basically, I think the changes to <EnvelopingSignature> are fine
(renaming it to <IncludeObject>, adding 'hashObjectTagsAndAttributesSet').

However, I don't see the problem with client splicing that necessitates
making <IncludeObject> part of basic processing, or demoting client
splicing to a profile.

As I understand it, the "problem" is that servers might rewrite the
client's XML before signing (without recording a <ds:Transformation>),
thus clients would not be splicing with the correct XML.

However, that is bad server behavior.  So I think we should just add
text to clarify that and leave things as-is.

> (Q I)
> The interesting question now is: Does the same-document Uri imply that
> there also has to be a <dss:IncludeObject>( or a
> <dss:SignaturePlacement>) and hence a <ds:Object> has to be
> embedded/spliced (or an EnvelopedSignature has to be created)?

No.

> (QII)
> Another question is about one special case we also should not forget
> about: What if a client wishes to have a document with a signature in
> it, having one ore more references with same-document Uris pointing to
> some arbitrary NodeSets within this very same document? How do we
> communicate these RefURIs.

I don't understand this question.

> (QIII)
> How does client-side splicing now fit in?

Leave it where it is, with qualifications (that it can be used for
<DocumentHash>; that it should not be used with profiles that rewrite
inputs).

Trevor