dss message

Subject: OASIS DSS - Issue regarding canonicalization

Hal,

As you are involved in both groups could you forward the attached to the
OASIS WSS group.

---
On behalf of the OASIS Digital Signature Services we bring to your attention
an issue that we have found regarding the application of Canonicalisation to
XML data carried within XML transport protocols.  The problem described in
brief is:

If expressions (XPath-Expressions) inside XPath-Filters (or
XPath-Filters 2.0), XSLT etc.. used in the chain of transforms (i.e.
<ds:Reference>/<ds:Transforms>/<ds:Transform>) are used in a way so that
they may also refer to parts of the transport protocol will behave
differently depending on whether the document is inside it's transport
protocol or not. Behavior can then also change depending on SOAP
normalizations which is used in WSS.

If you have any further or comments on this issue we would be happy to
respond.

Nick Pope & Juan Carlos
Co-chairs OASIS Digital Signature Services